Distinct Engineering Mounted into the Subaru 1000
Friday, 10 Aug 2012
The Subaru 1000 is equipped with a horizontally opposed four-cylinder water-cooled four-cycle engine possessing total displacement of 977 cc. In terms of performance, the engine has a compression ratio of 9.0 and maximum output of 55 ps/6000 rpm. The maximum torque is 7.8 kg/3200 rpm.
The Subaru 1000 engine has the following characteristics:
- It is a horizontally opposed engine and, because it is made from aluminum alloy, it is light and compact and has good cooling performance.
- Through designing a combustion chamber with high compression ratio and mechanical octane value, the engine has high output and high performance.
- The engine is designed to provide excellent durability.
- Fuel economy is good thanks to the high compression ratio and so on.
- Since the engine is horizontally opposed, it has good balance. Because it has no cooling fans and so on, it generates little vibration and noise and is quiet.
- Since the engine is made of aluminum and has a new type combustion chamber with high mechanical octane value, it can use regular gasoline.
(Source: “Subaru” magazine – Subaru 1000 extra edition (issued May 20, 1966))